

I have chicken as you might know and they are really fun. Not much work and they can take care of themselves for the most part. I get up in the morning and let them out of their coupe and feed them and water them. Eddie watches and loves to scare George he is the head Chicken in charge. Big bird is the other roster we have and he is Big Bird because he has always been bigger than the others(he is big and white) but has a better disposition than George. George attacks me. The others also have names, they are Maurine who is not pictured, there are the two Curlies, one who has become a surrogate mother to the eggs Maurine laid that are now hatching. The other two are the bouffants ( they are blonde and pouffy).Jackie is the only game cock we have left because she unlike her brothers, is nice to all the other chickens and she is a girl. We get two to three eggs a day from our chickens. I love them. Due to the hurricane and my lack of attention to them we got fertilized eggs, really it was that the other chickens decided to start laying,I thought that only Maurine was laying. So, when we were getting the chickens into the dog kennel to be put into the garage for the hurricane we found 12 eggs so we quickly looked at the eggs to see what was ferital and which ones were not, we found 8 with chicks and 4 no chicks.Maurine got her own kennel so she could sit her eggs away from the others...seeing inside the egg grossed Bill out.( I think this is kinda funny)
I looked up chicken info on the net and figured we had a about two weeks before they started to hatch. This past Monday I was out doing the chickens and there were extra eyes looking at me from under Curly. These extra eyes were the first two of the eight to hatch. Today we had number 5 arrive late this afternoon. I think Sunday or Monday the others will break through and join the family. We had to let the Anderson Brothers go to a better place, they were English game cocks, they were very mean to the other chickens, Tyler Dreden ( named by Mo) had to be let go also as he was naughty ,too!
I know you think we are silly maybe a little crazy for naming our chickens but they are pets and food at the same time...Besides when we were little we had chicken in our back yard in El Paso and we named those chickens Tom Petty, Gumby, Stevie Knicks, and there was a fourth but I can't remember the other name.

Saturday, September 27, 2008
Posted by Stephanie Ann at 2:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
What you don't remember the name of chicken number four. I think it was dead or cat food. He didn't last that long to be named!
Post a Comment